Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book-Tube-A-Thon Wrap-up and an Introduction!

Hey, my name's Carolyn.  Welcome to Book Lover's Island!  First off I want to tell you about what I'm reading currently: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler.  This book starts off when the protagonist, Anna, has a secret summer tryst with her best friend, Frankie’s, brother Matt.  This love tragically ends when the three of them get into a car crash and Matt dies.  One year later Anna and Frankie set off on a vacation and Frankie is determined that Anna loses her V-card. I just started that book yesterday and I will be posting a review of it as soon as I finish it.  Second off, I participated in the BookTube-A-Thon that took place from July 15th - July 21st so I wanted to do a recap of what books I read and a short review on whether I liked them or not.

Day 1: I had started two books before the BookTube-A-Thon that I wanted to finish, so I read The Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck.  That book was 543 pages long and it's kind of a slow read and it was the second time I had tried to read it, but I really enjoyed it none-the-less.  The second book I finished was Lullaby by Amanda Hocking.  I liked this book but I would only give it four stars; I'm not sure why but I didn't crazy obsessively love this book like I have others.  That brought my total page count up to: 448 pages.


Day 2: I listened to the audiobooks of What Really Happened in Peru and The Runaway Queen both by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan and both about an hour long.  That completed the read an audiobook challenge.  Combined the audiobooks were 273 pages.  The third thing I read was a physical book by the title Salior V vol. 2 and written by the lovely Naoko Takeuchi.  This is a graphic novel, and is a prequel to the Sailor Moon series that I love.  It's not the best series but I absolutely adore the characters and even though it can be cheesy I love reading the manga.  That brought my total page count up to: 959 pages.


Day 3: On the third day, I read Shadow of the Mark by Leigh Fallen second book in the Carrier Trilogy. I don't want to give any spoilers but this book was amazing!  I enjoyed even more that the first book and highly recommend the series.  It's about a girl who moves to Ireland and discovers that she has magical powers.  When she starts to fall for Adam DeRíz, a mysterious boy that shares her power, it could spell destruction for everyone involved.  So that was a kind of intense summary but check it out anyway because it's great and I can't wait for the last book!  Today my page count was brought up to: 1,264 pages.


Day 4: I read The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell.  I did not really like this book so much.  Before I read this book I had seen the new TV show on the CW and I really enjoyed it.  The book was SO different.  There were characters in the book missing from the TV show that where crucial to the plot in the book.  I found it a little slow but it was enjoyable and I will be reading the sequel, Summer and the City even if for no other reason than to find out what happens to Carrie, but we know what happens to Carrie because of Sex and the City.  Just kidding then, I won't be reading the next book!  This brought my page count up to: 1,653 pages.


Day 5: Today I started The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan but I got really distracted because all of my friends came over and so I didn't finish the book.  I did read three hundred pages though! So that works.  And that's all the reading I did day five bringing my total up to: 1,957 pages.


Day 6: I finished the last 200 pages of The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan, and the story picked up even more.  There was non-stop action and I can't wait for the next book to find out what happens.  This completed the read a book with 500+ pages challenge.  Then my family went down to Long Island for my cousin's birthday, and I read The Assassins of Rome by Caroline Lawrence during the car ride.  It should've been a short read at 152 pages but it took me all the way there and back which is about three hours.  It was pretty slow, and it's the fifth book in the Roman Mysteries books which I started in sixth grade as part of my summer reading and still haven't finished.  Those books brought my page count up to: 2,379 pages.


Day 7: On the last day I listened to another audiobook from the Bane Chronicles.  This one was called Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan.  This audio book was an hour and a half and it introduced some of the ancestors to characters from The Mortal Instruments series, like Edmund Herondale!  The final book I read for the BookTube-A-Thon was The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler.  I loved it so much, and I'm so glad I saved it for the last day because there's no way I would've been able to pick up a different book the next day.  It was such a touching story and I absolutely adored the characters.  I will be rereading it and doing a review of it at some point because I enjoyed it so much but for now I will give you the goodreads summary: 



Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. She’s seen the tears and disasters that dating a Vargas boy can cause, and she swore an oath—with candles and a contract and everything—to never have anything to do with one.


Now Jude is the only sister still living at home, and she’s spending the summer helping her ailing father restore his vintage motorcycle—which means hiring a mechanic to help out. Is it Jude’s fault he happens to be cute? And surprisingly sweet? And a Vargas?



Jude tells herself it’s strictly bike business with Emilio. Her sisters will never find out, and Jude can spot those flirty little Vargas tricks a mile away—no way would she fall for them. But Jude’s defenses are crumbling, and if history is destined to repeat itself, she’s speeding toward some serious heartbreak…unless her sisters were wrong?



Jude may have taken an oath, but she’s beginning to think that when it comes to love, some promises might be worth breaking.


That brought my total page count up to (drum roll please): 2,786 PAGES!!!!!!!




One last thing!  This year I have set a goal to read 100 books.  I will have the book count somewhere on this blog as well as a list of books I have read and my ratings out of five stars.  Thank you very much that's all I have for today, I will post a review of Twenty Boy Summer as soon as I finish it and get my thoughts together.  Have fun reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment