Sunday, July 28, 2013

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer



I recently listened to the audiobook of Nightshade by Andrea Cremer and really enjoyed it.  I usually have a hard time with audiobooks because I always read the book at the same time and read faster than the narrator.  This time I didn't have the actual book and didn't want to purchase the eBook since I own the audiobook, and I didn't have the same problem.  I loved listening to the story and thought it was really great.  A brief synopsis is:


Calla is the alpha of the young Nightshade pack and is engaged to marry the alpha of the Bane pack, Renier.  One night Calla does something that goes against the laws set by her masters the Keepers: she saves a human boy named Shay.  Shay has transferred to the Mountain School in Vail and the Keepers want Calla to keep him safe.  As Calla spends more time with him she uncovers secrets about Shay and her the Keepers that change her world forever. 


SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK!

Allright-y if you haven't clicked away or gone to read the book I'm assuming you've read the book.  If not, prepare to be spoiled!

My favorite character was Shay! He didn't let anything stop him from discovering the truth about his situation.  And was it just me or was Ren a total jerk sometimes.  I mean he had his moments but was extremely possessive, and I know part of that is the wolf thing but he also did some pretty jerk-y things.  Like what was he up to when he ditched school for two days? I don't know.  Just because I thought Ren was an ass doesn't mean that Shay was perfect because he did some pretty dumb stuff too.  Enough, I wanna talk about Calla.  I love that she's a strong female character!  She's the alpha! It doesn't get stronger than that, at all.  Unfortunately sometimes Calla would make a decision and I'd think "YES!" by the end of the chapter she would be doubting herself.  Her pack mates quickly started treating Ren as their alpha male long before the new pack was formed and that bothered me.  What about all the years when Calla was your alpha and all the respect she earned?  Does that just disappear?  When Calla finds out that Mason and Neville had been dating for a year and that everyone else in the pack new except her I winced.  The fact that Mason didn't trust her and she's his alpha... that must've hurt.

I love Calla's relationship with Ansel, he's such a good brother.  In the beginning when Ansel asks Calla if she wants to run away and says he would go with her: aww!  Ansel and Bryn's relationship was absolutely adorable.  I thought it was hilarious that when Ansel tells Calla and she thinks Bryn rejected him.

When Calla found out that she and Ren kill something at the union I said to myself, "It's gonna be Shay," and it was!  I thought that was a little predictable because how else is everyone going to find out that Shay was turned into a Guardian.  Almost any other way would be anti-climatic but now everyone knows and is on the hunt for him and Calla.  I am SO GLAD that she didn't go through with the union!  Not because I hate Ren or want her to end up with Shay but because she is going through a hard time and DOESN'T KNOW HOW SHE FEELS.  I mean she claims to love Shay but she's under a lot of stress when she says it, it could just be a heat of the moment thing.  Then again maybe not I haven't read the other books yet.  Can't wait to continue the series but not sure when I'll get to it...

I'm still working on Twenty Boy Summer but I should be done in a few days up and have the review up shortly. Currently I am also reading First Test by Tamora Pierce, the first book in the Protector of the Small Quartet.  I've had it for a while and I'm excited to finally read it!  As Tigger would say, "Ta Ta For Now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment