Saturday, March 29, 2014

Giver Trailer Talk/Discussion


My first though after watching this trailer was: 'Why isn't it in black and white? It should be in black and white.' I like to think that I've matured enough to not care if an actor has the wrong hair color or the wrong eye color or if there's minor world building things that are changed to work better in film, but this I am not okay with. The world being black and white was a major part of the Giver; the people lived in a colorless world until Jonah starts receiving memories and starts to see colors. That's a huge part of the world building, how the people are so oppressed and how there's such an absence of free will and creativity that there is no color. I feel like that aspect of the book needs to be in the movie.

My second thought: 'Why aren't Jonah and the Giver's eyes blue or a light brown.' Their eyes are described as pale while everyone else has dark eyes. This implies that they are special because they have pale eyes. I don't remember if it was stated in the book, but I always associated their pale eyes, and the pale eyes of the Seven or the baby (you know the other person with pale eyes), with people who are able to be "Receivers" or "Givers". So to me, that was another big aspect of the book that was missing from the movie.

Now, if I'm being honest, I don't remember a ton about this book. But what I do remember, I don't recognize in this trailer. I don't remember there being morning injections, but there might have been. I don't remember the society being really high tech, and most of the scenes shown in the trailer I didn't remember at all. The only ones I recognized were scenes with the Giver and Jonah and when the Giver is sharing memories with Jonah.

After watching this trailer, I'm scared for the movie. I remember really liking this book when I read it in school, and now I want to re-read it to remember everything. I feel like this movie won't live up to my feelings about this book, since this was one of the first, if not the first, dystopian book I had ever read. I definitely will go see this movie when it comes out but I'm going to wait and see what Rotten Tomatoes has to say about it, as well as what other online reviewers say about it. I have very high expectations, and I really don't want to be let down.

Let me know your thoughts on the trailer, and wether or not you plan to go see this movie? If you like these kinds of posts, let me know and I'll try to do more in the future. Sorry I've been gone for a while, school work got really hectic (but that's only an excuse). If it's an consolation, I have a HUGE book haul coming up, and it should be done by the end of the week (keeping my fingers-crossed that I will finish)! Thanks for visiting the island, and Happy Reading!

**Update: The reason the trailer is not in black and white was due to an error in communication between the film makers and the publicity department.

No comments:

Post a Comment