Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Reads - 2/15/14

So it's been two weeks since my first Saturday Reads, and I have decided to do this again! Just so you guys know what I'm reading, in and out of school, and where I am with these books. If any of you want to join in on my Saturday Reads, don't hesitate to comment and let me know what you're reading or what you plan on reading. Right now I'm reading five books, one of which is from my last Saturday Reads... Onto the books!

First Book: The Principles of Love by Emily Franklin




The "movie version" of Love Bukowski's life is picture perfect. She can roll out of bed and be at class in her new prep school within minutes because she lives in an amazing house on Hadley Hall Campus, where her Dad just happens to be the principal. And though she's just joined the ranks of the nation's future leaders and lushes of America, they've all become her best friends. Gorgeous upperclassmen crowd around her doorstep just to catch a glimpse of her performing her original songs. Life is sweet! 



Unfortunately, the not-so-glamorous reality of her life is that her Dad is the principal of the this prototypical New England prep school. Friends are hard to come by, and the only guys who come near her front door are the ones she wants to swat away. Not that there's a shortage of Hadley hotties; it's just that the one Love's singled out is an utterly incredible and totally unattainable senior. Now, Love will have to figure out the true meaning of her name to make her reality as awesome as her fantasies.


I started this book on Thursday, and I'm one or two chapters in. It's pretty good so far, but I haven't read much. I received this book through NetGalley, so I will have a review up once I've finished.

Second Book: Fifty Shades of Feminism edited/compiled by Lisi Appignanesi, Rachel Holmes & Susie Orbach 




The antidote to the idea that being a woman is all about submitting to desire. There are many more shades than that and here are fifty women to explore them. 



Fifty years after the publication of The Feminine Mystique, have women really exchanged purity and maternity to become desiring machines inspired only by variations of sex, shopping and masochism - all coloured a brilliant neuro-pink?


In this volume, fifty women young and old - writers, politicians, actors, scientists, mothers - reflect on the shades that inspired them and what being woman means to them today.

Contributors include: Tahmima Anam, Joan Bakewell, Bidisha, Lydia Cacho, Nina Power, Shami Chakrabarti, Lennie Goodings, Linda Grant, Natalie Haynes, Siri Hustvedt, Jude Kelly, Kathy Lette, Kate Mosse, Bee Rowlatt, Elif Shafak, Ahdaf Soueif, Shirley Thompson, Natasha Walter, Jeanette Winterson - alongside the three editors.


I'm still in pretty much the same place as last time I told you about this book, but I have made some progress. Meaning I'm 38 pages in. I haven't really found the time to read this, but I should have time in the upcoming week because I'm off from school. What I have read I've really liked. Each author raises interesting points, and makes me think about what I want to do with my life and who I want to be.

Third Book: Paris to Provence by Ethel Brennan & Sara Remington



Ethel and Sara beguile you with recipes and stories from their summer childhoods as they traveled with their respective families from Paris to Provence. In markets, cafés, truck stops, bakeries, bistros, and French family homes, the girls experienced their first taste of France, re-created here through recipes, stories, and photographs. 



Inspired by her memories of truck stop lunches sitting next to tables of grizzled truckers, Ethel gives us Steak au Poivre à la Sauce aux Morilles (pepper steak with morels). Sara’s whimsical game of using her asparagus as soldiers’ spears to guard her food from her sister is the source of her recipe for Les Soldats (soft-boiled eggs and fresh asparagus spears). Lingering over late-night dinners with grown-ups and listening in on their stories of the resistance and wild boar hunts inspired Ethel’s recipe for Fraises au Vin Rouge (strawberries in red wine syrup). Rosemary and its powerful scent, first discovered by Sara while hiking with her family in the Luberon Mountains in the south of France, infuses her recipe for Cotes d’Agneau Grillées au Romarin (grilled lamb chops with rosemary). From Îles Flottantes (poached meringues in crème anglaise) to Escargots (snails in garlic butter), and from Merguez (spicy grilled lamb sausage patties) to Ratatouille (summer vegetable stew), each recipe reflects Sara and Ethel’s childhood experiences in Paris and Provence. Sixty thoughtful, simple, and traditionally French dishes complemented by over one hundred luscious photographs will send you to your kitchen, and maybe even to France.


I finally got this book, after seeing it in an antique store in Montana and not being able to purchase it. I love this book. This book combines all of my loves in one: France, travel, cooking, and books. It's perfect. I'm currently on page 45, but I've already made a few of the recipes and they were delicious. Besides reading this book, I like to admire the photography, and just sit and hug it. It's that kind of book, you just have to give it the love it deserves.

Fourth Book: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck




First published in 1939, Steinbeck’s Pulitzer Prize winning epic of the Great Depression chronicles the Dust Bowl migration of the 1930s and tells the story of one Oklahoma farm family, the Joads, driven from their homestead and forced to travel west to the promised land of California. Out of their trials and their repeated collisions against the hard realities of an America divided into haves and have-nots evolves a drama that is intensely human yet majestic in its scale and moral vision, elemental yet plainspoken, tragic but ultimately stirring in its human dignity.



A portrait of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless, of one man’s fierce reaction to injustice, and of one woman’s stoical strength, the novel captures the horrors of the Great Depression and probes the very nature of equality and justice in America.


I'm reading this book for school, and I just started it. I'm currently one chapter (or 8 pages) in, and this book is huge! This book was assigned to read outside of class, and we have until May to finish this book. The way my teacher organized it is he group different chapters and questions that are due two weeks apart from each other. The first one is due Friday, and it's the first four chapters. Having only read eight pages, there's not much I can say about this book. I don't really know what this book is about, but I'm going to find out.

Fifth Book: Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare



The Tragedy of Julius Caesar is a tragedy by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in 1599.[1] It portrays the 44 BC conspiracy against the Roman dictator Julius Caesar, his assassination and the defeat of the conspirators at the Battle of Philippi. It is one of several plays written by Shakespeare based on true events from Roman history, which also include Coriolanus and Antony and Cleopatra.

I'm also reading this for school, but it's being read in class. First my teacher will summarize the scene for us, and then he will play the audio version of it. We just finished Act III Scene I and that's about 14 out of 28 pages in my edition of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. At school, thought we are reading this out of the textbook, and I have no clue how many pages it is. This is the second Shakespeare play I've read (last year I read The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet), and I find it much easier to read. Hopefully after I finish Julius Caesar in class, I will go on and read more Shakespeare. I really want to read one of his comedies, because so far all I've read is the tragedies. What are your favorite Shakespeare plays to read or to see?

So that's where I am right now. I've never read so many books at the same time, because I normally just read one at a time. Comment down below what you guys are reading, or if you've read any of these books before and what you thought about them. Ok then, Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment