Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lola and the Boy Next Door


This book... this book... just read it.  Read it.  It's romantic, funny, sad, and ties in perfectly with Anna and the French Kiss.  I can't find words to express the love I feel for this book.  And I think a quote from this book perfectly explains how I'm feeling write now.  "It's easy to talk about things we hate, but sometimes it's hard to explain exactly why we like something," said by none other than Anna Oliphant.  And I think the perfect way to sum up this book is with another quote: "and I hold my head high toward my big entrance, hand in hand with the boy who gave me the moon and the stars."  Cheesy, I know but I couldn't resist.  Now all I have to say to you is go read Anna and the French Kiss and then you can read Lola and the Boy Next Door and appreciate all it's awesomeness.  Lastly I would like to thank Stephanie Perkins for creating this amazing series and writing amazing stories.



SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK!

Now I can freely express my love for this book and everything in it!  To start off: Lola.  A teenage girl striving to be an adult and yet not sure if she wants to be an adult yet.  The book starts off with Lola having Sunday brunch with her fathers and her twenty-two year old boyfriend, Max.  In the beginning of the book you like Max and think he's pretty nice, but since this is Stephanie Perkins you know Lola and Max will eventually break up.  When I started reading the book I thought, how is she going to do this because right now I like Max because Lola likes Max.  Then the story continues and you see that Max can be a jealous, overprotective, jackass (I wanted to use a stronger word but decided to spare you all).  At first Max seems like a great guy aside from his offhand comments about Lola's best friend Lindsey, but when Cricket comes into the picture he morphs into this terrorizing monster that is a total ass.  When they are at the concert on Halloween Lola and Lindsey are dressed as each other, and Max makes the meanest comment ever.  He says, "Can't say I'll be sorry when this holiday is over."  He is such a jerk!  And then he walks away.

The frustration at Max.  When Lola goes to talk to him for resolution after they broke up, he's a complete jerk to her. Just the level of rudeness and the amount of pain he tries to inflict is awful. It makes me angry.

Moving on to the other guy in Lola's life, Cricket. I like that Cricket is such a good guy; even when Lola thinks he hurt her, it wasn't him. Exhibit A: the party Calliope threw for Cricket. Lola thinks Cricket didn't invite her but in reality it was Calliope being Calliope. But in the end I love that Lola helps Calliope with the costume and then they start forgiving each other and whatever. Back to Cricket. When Lola asks Cricket if he believes in second chances, and he says "if the person is right". Then Lola says, "If the person is ... Lola?" and then Cricket says, "Only if the other person is Cricket."





One of my favorite things about this book: Anna and St. Clair. I was not expecting that and I don't know why I wasn't. Every scene they were in I couldn't contain my joy. I knew who Isla and Josh from Isla and the Happily Ever After  were and I thought that was how it would tie in (knowing them from the first book) but I was like "How are Anna and Lola connected?" And now I get it, I can't believe I forgot. They are both going to college in California!!! Lightbulb!  Lola and Anna work at the same movie theater! And the Olypmics are in France, Calliope is going to the Olympics, Anna and St. Clair are using that as an excuse to go to Paris again, and Isla and the Happily Ever After takes place in Paris! CONNECTIONS!


Another thing about Lola and Cricket is that Lola doesn't jump into that relationship right after she breaks up with Max. She lets herself heal and tells Cricket she wants him to have the full her. I really liked that, and how she felt she had to earn Cricket because of how she had been treating him. I'm glad she realized that she was being to a jerk to him, knowing how he felt about her and still wanted to hang out with him. Overall, amazing book. Ah-Ma-Zing!


See y'all next Tuesday! Don't forget, "It's rabbit season!"
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment