Friday, February 14, 2014

January Favorites

It's a little late since it's the middle of February, but here are some of the things I loved in January.

Bastille's re-issued album, All This Bad Blood. Bastille is my new favorite band of always. I love every single one of their songs I've heard, and I just love their general sound. Each song has it's own meaning in this album, and they all interconnect to paint a beautiful, musical painting.



Disc One
1. Pompeii*
2. Things We Lost in the Fire*
3. Bad Blood
4. Overjoyed
5. These Streets
6. The Weight of Living Pt. II*
7. Icarus*
8. Oblivion
9. Flaws*
10. Daniel in the Den
11. Laura Palmer*
12. Get Home


Disc Two
1. Poet*
2. The Silence
3. Haunt*
4. Weight of Living Pt. I*
5. Sleepsong
6. Durban Skies*
7. Laughter Lines
8. Previously on Other People's Heart Ache
9. Of the Night*
10. The Draw
11. What Would You Do*
12. Skulls*
13. Tuning Out...*

*My favorites, if I had to choose, all though there isn't much of a point to me telling you my favorites because they are almost all my favorites. Even the ones I didn't star are amazing, and truly I love them all equally.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. I got this book in mid-January, and read it in a day. It was a quick read, and it was such a heartwarming story. It talked about it a little bit in my Winter Wonderland Tag (here) but now I'll give you a full synopsis, cover, and everything.


Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks-like the gears of the clocks he keeps-with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the train station , Hugo's undercover life and his most precious secret are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spell-binding mystery.

With 284 pages of original drawings, and combining elements of picture book, graphic novel, and film, Brian Selznick breaks open the novel forn to create and entirely new reading experience. Here is a stunning, cinematic, tour de force from a boldly innovative storyteller, artist, and bookmaker.

I already said it, but this book was great. I absolutely loved every bit, from the characters to the setting to the plot. The illustrations were beautiful and I just want more of Brian Selznick's books. 5 stars. 5 stars.





Restoration Hardware No Crack Crème Superbe de Mains. Since it's the winter, the hands get very dry. This is great for moisturizing during the day, and I like to use Aquaphor at night.







Sherlock. What more do I have to say? After two years on hiatus, Sherlock is back with season three! I've seen two of the three new episodes and they don't disappoint. I can't wait to see the last one, and I hear that there is going to be at least to more seasons. I love that on BBC One they don't have commercials during the show, and you just have an hour and a half of straight content. It's wonderful.





NetGalley. I just joined NetGalley, and I've been able to read and review a bunch of great new books. They have a huge selection of books that you request if your a blogger, reviewer, librarian, or bookseller. The only thing is that a lot of their books are only available in Europe or Australia, so be careful of that when you request books.





I'd Rather Be Watching Sherlock Tee. I purchased this as a Christmas present for my friend, but it came late due to snow and she was on vacation so I still haven't been able to give it to her! Anyway, we're both really big fans of Sherlock and she recently redecorated her room in the style of 221b Baker Street, and it looks awesome.




Giraffe Onesie (my first onesie). My friend gave me my first onesie for Christmas, and it's a giraffe! It's adorable, and yes I received it in January because my friends and I are really bad at exchanging gifts on time... what can you do? I like this onesie, I can just lounge around in it and it's really comfy. It's everything a onesie can be.



So those are my favorite things from January. If you like this kind of a post, let me know and I'll continue to do them otherwise I won't unless there's something I really want to share with you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment