Sunday, February 2, 2014

Saturday Reads - 2/1/14

Hello, and welcome to my blog! Today I would like to share with you what I'm reading. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm in a bit of a reading slump, and I just wanted to read some books for myself and not review them. But I also want you guys to know what I think about them, and whether I recommend them or not. I'm currently reading two books, and I haven't finished either one of them so I can't give you my rating or recommendation really. If you would like I can do a mini-review of these books when I finish them, just be sure to comment below.

First Book: The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima.







An epic battle between good and evil...

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.


I'm 210 pages in and so far I really like it. The synopsis of the book reminded me of Wendy Wu's Homecoming Warrior, specifically the part about soccer try-outs. I'm about half-way through and I can't wait to finish it. I found this book through Regan at PeruseProject on the YouTube, and I've found lots of fantasy books that I want to read through her channel. So if you like fantasy novels go check out her channel.

Second Book: Fifty Shades of Feminism edited/complied by Lisa Appignanesi, Rachel Holmes & Susie Orbach








The antidote to the idea that being a woman is all about submitting to desire. There are many more shades than that and here are fifty women to explore them. 

Fifty years after the publication of The Feminine Mystique, have women really exchanged purity and maternity to become desiring machines inspired only by variations of sex, shopping and masochism - all coloured a brilliant neuro-pink?

In this volume, fifty women young and old - writers, politicians, actors, scientists, mothers - reflect on the shades that inspired them and what being woman means to them today.

Contributors include: Tahmima Anam, Joan Bakewell, Bidisha, Lydia Cacho, Nina Power, Shami Chakrabarti, Lennie Goodings, Linda Grant, Natalie Haynes, Siri Hustvedt, Jude Kelly, Kathy Lette, Kate Mosse, Bee Rowlatt, Elif Shafak, Ahdaf Soueif, Shirley Thompson, Natasha Walter, Jeanette Winterson - alongside the three editors.


After recently watching a video about women authors, I was inspired to learn more about women's rights and feminist movements. This book explores different aspects of feminism, and I don't know much more because I'm only about 15 pages in. But so far it's really interesting, and I think I'm gonna like this book. Also, just know that there will be a post coming soon about women authors, and gender roles in society, but it might take a little while. If you have any books that are similar to Fifty Shades of Feminism comment below, because I'm really interested in this topic and would love to read more about it. 
So those are the books I'm reading right now. Comment below what you guys are reading, and if you have any books you think I would enjoy. I hope you all have a great Super Bowl weekend, and Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment