Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince




Whew... I need a moment to compose myself. Whew... that was really hard to read.

...

Wow.  I was not expecting that. I knew it was going to happen eventually but I thought it would happen in the last book so I wasn't prepared. I need a moment to get my thoughts together. Sorry if this post is all over the place I just finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and there's lots of emotions pouring out of me and I need to let it out. This review is going to have tons of spoilers so if you haven't read Harry Potter DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS POST YOU WILL REGRET IT. Okay, here goes...

SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK! SPOILERS! CONTINUE SCROLLING IF YOU READ THE BOOK!

I think what got me the most about this Harry Potter was how anti-climatic Dumbledore's death was. One second he was alive then Snape shouts, "Avada Kedavra" and Dumbledore's gone. I mean I understand that's how the Avada Kedavra curse works but it's Dumbledore... he's such a huge character and person in Harry's life. I hate that Harry has to loose Dumbledore, because he's Harry's authoritative/parental-type figure and to loose him a year after loosing Sirius; it doesn't seem fair. On the positive side, Harry is using their deaths as a reason to push forward with the task set before him. He isn't letting it destroy his life like it might do to others.


I knew that Harry ends up with Ginny at the end of the series but until this book there was minimal interaction between them and Harry never really showed any particular interest in her... until this book! I felt so bad for Harry reading that he was jealous of Dean and about his dilemma that his best friend is Ginny's brother. After the Quidditch match when Ginny comes up to Harry and they kiss, and then Harry looks at Ron... that was touching how Ron was okay with it. At then end of the book Harry breaks up with Ginny to protect her, and it devastated me. I was happy about the way J. K. Rowling did it; Ginny understood even though she didn't necessarily agree. She said to Harry, "It's for some stupid, noble reason, isn't it?" Normally when this is done in YA books the dumper doesn't feel the need to say I'm doing this to protect you and the dumpee just doesn't get it; but Harry and Ginny did!


Another thing I love is that Ron and Hermione are loyal to Harry throughout the book, but they are still individuals. Sometimes Hermione disagrees with Harry and Ron and sometimes Ron and Harry get into fights but they remain friends in the end. One of the saddest parts in the beginning/middle of the book was when Ron was in a relationship with Lavender. I felt so bad for Hermione, because I knew how she felt about Ron since about the fourth book but Ron is clueless. He frustrated me the most in this book, he was so caught up in his "first girlfriend/kiss" that he was a little bit of a jerk.

I felt bad for Hagrid when Aragog dies. But I do have this to say: Hagrid can be so clueless when it comes to the danger his "pets"  have on others. I thought it was nice that Harry went to Aragog's funeral, even if it was only because of the liquid luck potion.


It was so creepy when Harry found out that Crabbe and Goyle were using the Polyjuice Potion to turn into girls... really couldn't they have been boys? Whenever Malfoy was mentioned in the book there was an underlying feeling of terror or insanity. I didn't like when Harry was thinking about Malfoy obsessively; it made me feel uneasy.


That's all I have to say about this Harry Potter. I can't wait to read the seventh and final HP!


Talk to you on Sunday about more new books!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment