Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Novellas: Free Four, In Time, The Transfer

 


Recently I read a few novellas and I would like to talk about them! In the general sense I love novellas, because if you read them before the next book in the series comes out it reintroduces you to the world and the characters so you don't have to catch up at the beginning of the new book. This is one of the many benefits of the short story or novella. Novellas also fill in story lines that weren't included in the "main series" or and new insights to characters. All in all novellas add to the reading experience and I recommend them to all who love reading.

The first novella I'm going to be talking about is Free Four by Veronica Roth. This is a Divergent novella, that shows the knife-throwing scene from Four's point of view. It is about 20 pages long, and only available on e-book. If you are looking for a quick read before you pick up Allegiant when it comes out October 22nd, this might be helpful. I loved reading what Four was thinking during this scene, it brings it full circle. There's not much more I can say without giving away what happens in those 20 pages so go pick it up.

The second novella is In Time by Alexandra Bracken. After I read this one I didn't know what do do with myself. 


I hadn't read The Darkest Minds since the beginning of the year so I could barely remember the character names. This was perfect for me because I remembered Zu, that she wasn't with Liam/Ruby, and the powers of each color. Now I am ready for Never Fade on November 5th (correct me if I'm wrong) and more pumped than ever. Back to the overwhelming feelings. This book introduced a new character, Gabe, who wants to be a skip tracer. While searching for a Psi Gabe finds Zu!  I will not reveal anything other than how the end of the novella made me cry. Moving on!

The final novella I would like to talk about is The Transfer by Veronica Roth. I know, another Divergent novella. Get used to it. I wanted to read this novella purely for more background on Four. In this novella we briefly see Four's life before he transfers to Dauntless and as he passes his first few initiation tests. I loved this novella because of the look into Four's life before Tris knew him, and if you're a fan of the Divergent series, characters, or upcoming movie I definitely recommend you read this novella.

To top off this post, go read these novellas because they are all very quick reads, very entertaining, and absolutely amazing. See you Sunday with Legend by Marie Lu.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself," FDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment