Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Wonder



Wonder by R. J. Palacio was amazing and full of emotion.  The novel is about a boy named August Pullman who is going to public school for the first time.  Auggie has a facial deformity and when he was younger he underwent many surgeries so he was home-schooled.  Now Auggie is going into fifth grade and making his first foray into public school.  August isn't the only point of view in the book though; the book also follows his sister, Via, her boyfriend, Justin, and her friend, Miranda, as well as Auggie's friends Summer and Jack.  I like that every one in the novel has their own story and it's not completely focused on Auggie's struggles.

I really like August, he seems like a cool kid.  He doesn't see himself as a freak, or unordinary, he sees himself as normal.  I wish every one in the world had the same mindset as Auggie, why should someone's looks affect how they're treated or perceived?  When Auggie goes to school what most of his classmates don't understand or take the time to notice is that Auggie is a fun guy to be around.  Even his friend Summer admits that she was surprised at how much she enjoyed being around Auggie.

When I first started Via's point of view I found myself annoyed at her for being embarrassed about her brother.  But then I realized I was being unreasonable, people get embarrassed by their family all the time so why can't Via.  It made me realize how stupid and ignorant I was being.  After that I really liked Via, and especially enjoyed that she had her own life to worry about.  I could relate to her growing away from her friends and finding new ones after starting high school, and liked that she wasn't constantly focusing on Auggie.

I've have been trying to get my hands on this book for such a long time but rarely get to the bookstore.  When I saw it at my school library I pounced and checked it out immediately.  I could not have been more happy with this book.  I loved every bit of it and wouldn't have changed any of it (except maybe Julian).  Anywho, reading this story made me so happy and I couldn't keep the smile off my face when I turned the last page.

“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.” 
                                        -Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment