Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Island Cookbook - Hot Chocolate




Fall is here, and it's getting colder.  My favorite drink while curling up with a good book is without a doubt hot chocolate.  Hot Chocolate is one of those "seasonal drinks" that people usually drink in the winter; unless you are like me  and drink it all year round.  Due to my love of the drink I have found many, many versions of making it and I will share a few with you.

1. Simple Hot Cocoa

Directions: Buy Hot Chocolate mix from the store and and to hot water/milk.  Not my favorite, because I tend to enjoy hot chocolate with a higher chocolate concentration that Nestle or Swiss Miss has.

2. Stove-Top Cocoa

Directions: Get a hot chocolate mix (not a packet; my personal preference is Starbucks or Ghiradelli but any will do).  In a saucepan add desired amount of milk, and heat until small bubbles appear (can also microwave milk to heat it).  Stir in designated amount of cocoa mix and enjoy.  This tends to be richer, because you can add more or less powder depending on your preference and the flavor provided by the milk.

3. Rich Hot Chocolate

Warning: This drink is only for advanced Hot Chocolate Lovers otherwise you may explode from intense chocolatey-goodness.

Directions: Heat 2 cups milk in a saucepan.  Once the milk starts bubbling add 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of semisweet chocolate, and stir until combined.  I suggest adding some sugar if you like you're hot chocolate a little sweet, make sure you taste it and then adjust the sugar.  If you wish add vanilla extract or cinnamon, then top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.   This one is my favorite because even though it takes more time to make I love the richness of its flavor.

An amazing chocolate quote from Linda Grayson, "There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate."  Couldn't have said it better myself, see ya Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment