Monday, January 6, 2014

Top 13 Books of 2013

These are 13 of my favorite books I read this year.  I believe that most of these were published in 2013 but I don't think they all were.  All right, I'm going to jump right in! (They're in no particular order).



Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan.  I read this book just after Christmas, which was the perfect time to read it.  I was in the Christmas mood, there was some snow on the ground, and this story just warmed my heart right up.


Wonder by R. J. Palacio.  This book is about a boy with a facial deformity going to school for the first time, and I absolutely loved it (like all of the books on this list).  I thought the characters were great, the story, and just everything.  I definitely recommend it, and it even got the bi-yearly book award at my school.


Legend by Marie Lu.  The first book in a dystopian trilogy, the idea intrigued me and it took me forever to actually buy it.  I am so happy I bought this and wish I had bought it sooner, I haven't read the rest of the series but I own them and hope to read them soon!


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling.   I just read the Harry Potter series over the summer and I had to include my favorite one.


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.  This story is so amazing, it gushes and oozes romance.  It takes place in Paris (my favorite place on Earth) and is about a girl who meets a boy and romance and drama ensue; go read.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  My first John Green book.  Phenomenal, can't wait for the movie in June.  (Do I seriously need to tell you what this book is about?)


Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors.  This book is about a girl who's grandmother owns an old-fashioned coffee shop that's going out of business.  One day the main character meets an angel that grants her one wish.  Can she save the coffee shop or has new-fangled ways taken over?  This book was great and I really liked it; highly recommended.


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.  A young adult fantasy novel about aliens; this book is the first in a trilogy with the second book coming out later in 2014.  This book was so interesting, and I can't wait for The Infinite Sea.


Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.  An adorable love story about two misfits.  That's all I have to say; oh, and Rainbow Rowell is amazing.


The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken.  A new sci-fi/dystopian series where one day kids wake up with super powers.  I didn't read Never Fade yet, but I have it waiting on my kindle!


The House of Hades by Rick Riordan.  The fourth installment of the Heroes of Olympus series.  If you haven't read this or the Percy Jackson series you need to go now, because they are absolutely amazing.  Percy is absolutely hilarious and a wonderful main character, and the story is just brilliant.  I'm (im)patiently waiting for The Blood of Olympus. *cough* I need it now *cough*


The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler.  This book was so sweet and was truly amazing.  Don't let the title fool you, this story is not only a romance it also deals with family relationships.  In this book Jude's dad has early on-set Alzheimer's and this book is about Jude learning to cope with that and the journey she goes on.


Fracture by Megan Miranda.  This cover intrigued me as well as the blurb on the back (you have to read it in a really cool voice to add effect):

A lot can happen in eleven minutes.  Decker can run two miles in eleven minutes.  I once wrote an English essay in ten.  No lie.  And God knows Carson Levine can talk a girl out of her clothes in half that time. 
Eleven minutes might as well be eternity underwater.  It only takes three minutes without air for loss of consciousness.  Permanent brain damage begins at four minutes.  And then, when the oxygen runs out, full cardiac arrest occurs.  Death is possible at five minutes. Probable at seven.  Definite at ten. 
Decker pulled me out at eleven...

That really intrigued me, especially because these kinds of medical phenomenas do occur.  Even though that is possible, the book does include some magical realism elements.  Highly enjoyable, and definitely recommend it.


All right, those are my favorite books from 2013, and don't judge me for not including Fangirl because I haven't read it yet!  Hope you all had an amazing start to your years and your New Year's resolutions if you made any.  Leaving you with a quote from Brad Paisley (even though the new year already started) ... 

"Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book.  Write a good one."

No comments:

Post a Comment